Food Styling Short Course
The Food Styling Short Course is designed to introduce you to the specialised skills, knowledge and insight you’ll need to nail professional-standard food styling. You’ll get a behind-the-scenes look at just what’s involved in preparing a dish for the perfect shot. You’ll get an insight into the food styling industry and find out those tips and tricks that most food stylists only learn on the job.
You’ll also get hands-on experience in exactly what it’s like to work on a food shoot – from conceptualising and planning, to sourcing props, right through to getting the styled look just right. You’ll leave the two-day weekend workshop with a deeper insight into food styling, one-on-one time with professional stylist Bianca Christoff as you style your very own food shoot and a professional photograph of your styled look to start your food styling portfolio.
- Aspiring food stylists wanting to learn from the pros
- Foodie social media buffs who want food shots on their blog, Instagram or Pinterest to be to a cut above the rest
- Creative entrepreneurs whose businesses rely on stunningly styled shots
- Food industry professionals
- Those wanting to publish their own recipe collection
- Photographers wanting to expand their styling knowledge
An Introduction to Food Styling
- The ins-and-outs of the industry and the different pathways you can take
- Who you may work with – photographers, art directors, chefs, clients and more
- How to start a career in food styling or apply food styling knowledge to your own endeavours
How a Food Stylist Works
- An overview of creating inspiration and direction with food styling mood boards
- Working to a brief, breaking it down and identifying your target audience
- Understanding design elements and principles and how to use these to your advantage for phenomenal shots
Food Styling 101
- The step-by-step of styling a food shoot (it doesn’t all happen on the day)
- Sourcing the perfect props and backgrounds
- Getting creative with constructing DIY backgrounds
Food Stylist Tweaks & Touches
- The essentials for your food stylist kit (you might be surprised at what’s involved!)
- What goes into making a food look delectable and moreish and the psychology behind why good food styling evokes those emotions in us
Create Your Own Styled Look
- Flex your new-found food styling muscles and put everything you’ve learned into action! You’ll have the know-how to create your very own styled look from start to finish, starting with deciphering the brief and developing your ideas. Have fun with sourcing products and props to tell your story – scouring the local market, deli or grocer for the most picture-perfect produce, reimagining found objects or borrowing that impeccable piece. You’ll then employ your creative flair to put together your finished look for photography
- Be mentored and art directed every step of the way by career stylist Bianca Christoff
- Take your own shots along the way (with your phone or camera) as you primp, prime and perfect your shots, exploring viewpoints and angles for final photography
- Have your styled look photographed by a professional photographer
- You’ll leave with a professional photograph of your final look that you can use to start your food styling portfolio.
The weekend workshop runs over two consecutive Saturdays, 10am-4pm both days.
‘The Art Room’, Building B, Level 4, Melbourne Polytechnic, St John Street, Prahran.
No previous skills or knowledge are required, but a knowledge of food is beneficial.
On Day One, just bring yourself and a passion for styling! All other materials are provided.
For Day Two, you’ll bring your products, props and backgrounds for your styled food shoot. Bring along your phone or digital camera for taking your own shots along the way. Some props and backgrounds will be provided.
Styling is thirsty work! Refreshments are provided.
You’ll receive a certificate of completion at the conclusion of the course.
A 50% deposit is due upon enrolment, with the balance due one week before commencement of the course.
Can’t wait to get started? Enrol now to start your new career in food styling.
Next course dates:
Saturday’ May 4th & May 11th 2019