Intro to Styling Short Course
The Intro to Styling Short Course is designed to introduce you to the skills, knowledge and insight you’ll need to master styling across a range of areas. This workshop is essential if you’ve ever considered becoming a stylist or want to be able to style amazing shots for your career, business, blog, social media or passion projects. It covers the low-down on fashion styling, product styling, food styling and interior styling. You’ll get a behind-the-scenes look at just what’s involved in preparing a product for the perfect shot.
You’ll gain an insight into the main industry areas, discover the important people that you’ll encounter as a stylist, consider which pathway is right for you and, of course, find out those tips and tricks that most stylists only learn on the job.
You’ll also get hands-on experience in exactly what it’s like to work on a product shoot – from deciphering the brief to sourcing props, right through to getting the styled look just right. You’ll leave the two-day weekend workshop with a deeper insight into the styling industry, an introduction to the multiple niches within styling, one-on-one time with professional stylist Bianca Christoff as you style your very own product shoot and a professional photograph of your styled look to start your styling portfolio.
This course is perfect for:
- Aspiring stylists wanting to learn from the pros
- Fashion, interior, foodie or creative social media buffs who want shots on their blog, Instagram or Pinterest to be to a cut above the rest
- Creative entrepreneurs whose businesses rely on stunningly styled shots
- Creative industry professionals
- Photographers wanting to expand their styling knowledge
Over Two Days You’ll Learn
An Introduction to Styling
- The ins-and-outs of the industry and the different pathways you can take
- Freelancing, working with agencies or as an in-house stylist – the pros and cons of each
- Busting the stylist myths (it’s not all glitz and glamour)
- Who you may work with – photographers, art directors, designers, managers, fashion editors, models, brand directors and more
How a Stylist Works
- An overview of creating inspiration and direction with styling mood boards
- Working to a brief, breaking it down and identifying your target audience
- Understanding design elements and principles and how to use these to your advantage for phenomenal shots
- Research and styling to trends
- The step-by-step of styling a shoot (it doesn’t all happen on the day)
- Sourcing the perfect props, backgrounds and how to get designers to lend you items
- Tiny client budget? No problem. Find out how and where to source props on any budget (and the tricks to make cheap items look super expensive)
- The science of styling food and the tricks the pros use to make those moreish, eye-catching images out of ordinary ingredients
- The essentials of styling a room for editorial and advertising to create a warm and inviting scene that anyone would want to live in
Stylist Tweaks & Touches
- The essentials for your stylist kit (never go to a shoot without these!)
- What goes into making a product look just so good – it’s more than safety pins and gaffa tape
Create Your Own Styled Look
- Flex your new-found styling muscles and put everything you’ve learned into action! You’ll have the know-how to create your very own styled look from start to finish, starting with deciphering the brief and developing your ideas. Have fun with sourcing products and props to tell your story – reimagining found objects, digging through second-hand stores or borrowing that perfect piece. You’ll then employ your creative flair to put together your finished look for photography
- Be mentored and art directed every step of the way by career stylist Bianca Christoff
- Take your own shots along the way (with your phone or camera) as you primp, prime and perfect your shots, exploring viewpoints and angles for final photography
- Have your styled look photographed by a professional photographer
- You’ll leave with a professional photograph of your final look that you can use to start your food styling portfolio.
The weekend workshop runs over two consecutive Saturdays, 10am-4pm both days.
‘The Art Room’, Building B, Level 4, Melbourne Polytechnic, St John Street, Prahran.
No previous skills or knowledge are required.
On Day One, just bring yourself and a passion for styling! All other materials are provided.
For Day Two, you’ll bring your products, props and backgrounds for your styled shoot. Bring along your phone or digital camera for taking your own shots along the way. Some backgrounds will be provided.
Styling is thirsty work! Refreshments are provided.
You’ll receive a certificate of completion at the conclusion of the course.
A 50% deposit is due upon enrolment, with the balance due one week before commencement of the course.
Can’t wait to get started? Enrol now to start your new career in styling.
Next course dates:
Intro to Styling- Saturday February 16th & Saturday February 23rd 2019